We Are The Chiari Group.
Since 2008, our volunteer group has helped fund pediatric Chiari Malformation research. Currently we are focused on supporting studies specifically related to pain management. While Chiari symptoms and level of severity differ from patient to patient, pain continues to be a common thread. There is a pressing need for effective pain management options
At this time, we are carefully vetting research grants that are exploring alternative avenues for pain management. The contributions received from the 2015 and 2016 Race for Research will be combined into one grant.
What is Chiari Malformation?
Chiari Malformation is a serious neurological condition in which the brain protrudes through the opening at the base of the skull and crowds the spinal cord. The resulting compression can cause painful headaches, muscle weakness, dizziness, double vision and episodes of stopped breathing. No two people with Chiari have the same set of symptoms.
Chiari Malformation is:
- A condition affecting 1 in 1,000 people
- A condition where sufferers look healthy but suffer with immense chronic, debilitating, pain
- A condition which often causes suffering for years before being correctly diagnosed
- A condition which is largely unknown by many in the healthcare community. For those who are more familiar with Chiari, there is rarely consensus on the most effective treatment plan
- A condition with more questions than answers for patients, families, and healthcare professionals
- A condition in need of further research!
Race for Research
November 13, 2016
7901 Meadowbrook Lane
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Thank you to all who came out to our 2016 event! Over 300 runners participated and over $25,000 was raised. We couldn't have done it without everyone's continued support.
The 5k Run/ 3K Walk for Research on November 15, 2015 was a huge success. We had a great turnout of support from over 220 participants.
The success of this event is directly related to the 30+ volunteers who worked tirelessly to plan and execute this event. Without them this inspiring day would not have been possible. We are also thankful to Giant Food for providing all of the refreshments for the event.